Enable Access to the VCSA Bash shell or Appliance Shell
sorangutan last edited by
Currently, the vCSA is bundled with below supported shells - BASH Shell & Appliance Shell. The appliance shell can be used to update the VCSA, using the software-packages command and has some other use cases. When you log in for first time by default it shows appliance shell, below is the method to switching the vCenter Server Appliance 6.x to BASH Shell.
1) Use putty any other ssh tool, Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance through SSH.
2) Run below command to enable access the Bash shell:
shell.set --enabled true
3) Type shell and press Enter. If you want bash to be automatically loaded after reboot follow next steps. SCP will also not work unless you go with next steps.
4) In the temporary BASH shell, run this command to permanently configure the default Shell to BASH for Root.
chsh -s /bin/bash root
5) Log out from the BASH Shell.
6) Log in again for the changes to take effect.
Switching the vCenter Server Appliance 6.x to Appliance Shell
1) If you configure bash shell permanently, there is a way to switch to Appliance shell again, Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance through SSH.
2) For temporary switch you can use appliancesh
2) Run below command to make change permanent from using the BASH Shell to the Appliance Shell.
chsh -s /bin/appliancesh root
4) Log out from the Appliance Shell.
5) Log in again for the changes to take effect.
Generate new self-signed certificates for ESXi using OpenSSL
Push SSL certificates to client computers using Group Policy
Replacing a default ESXi certificate with a CA-Signed certificate
Troubleshooting replacing a corrupted certificate on Esxi server
POWERCLI AND VSPHERE WEB CLIENT: JOIN ESXI INTO ACTIVE DIRECTORY DOMAIN CONTROLLER
Resolved: Esxi Join domain failed - Error in Active Directory Operations
Join domain ESXi to an Active Directory OU : Powercli
© Lightnetics 2019