Finding community this Native American Heritage Month

• I’m a member of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians and the Tututni Band of Indians, as well as a descendent from the Southern Cheyenne and Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians. I’m proud of my Native American identity and after coming to Google as a Test Engineer in 2010, I joined the Google American Indian Network—an employee group passionate about Native American communities—to meet other Native people at Google. Since then, I’ve been able to connect with other Googlers to celebrate the diverse range of tribal cultures and communities across the country.

This Native American History Month, we’re highlighting the story of Robin Máxkii in the latest episode of “Search On,” Google’s original documentary series. When Robin was a teenager, she felt caught between worlds—her reservation in Wisconsin, and the urban sprawl of Houston. From organizing hackathons for the American Indian Science and Engineering Society to becoming a mentor for Google’s Made with Code program, Robin is carving her own path as a Native person in STEM and is bringing her community along with her.

Today’s Doodle honors another powerful Native American woman: Eastern Band Cherokee Indian woodcarver and educator Amanda Crowe, a prolific artist renowned for her expressive animal figures. Led by Doodler Lydia Nichols, the Doodle was created in collaboration with the Qualla Arts & Crafts Mutual as well as William “Bill” H. Crowe, Jr., woodcarver and nephew and former student of Amanda Crowe.

There are a few other ways we’re celebrating Native American History at Google: When you say “Hey Google, how do you celebrate Native American Heritage Month?” your Google Assistant will tell you a fact about Native American history and culture. Try telling it “Hey, Google, Happy Native American Heritage Month” as well.

On November 17th, Google volunteers will be working alongside the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian to facilitate an educator training day in Oklahoma City.

And through Google’s CS First program, we’ll be working with local teachers to strengthen computer science in Native classrooms and to inspire and promote the improvement of teaching and learning about Native American history through NMAI’s Native Knowledge 360°.

The concept of walking in two worlds is one with which many can identify. At Google, I’ve brought my two worlds closer together, and I’m proud of the work we’ve done to share the experiences of Native American people with others.

https://www.blog.google/inside-google/doodles/native-american-heritage-month/

© Lightnetics 2024