vzstat(8) - top-like utility for gathering statistics

• vzstat(8)					 System Manager's Manual				       vzstat(8)

NAME
           vzstat - top-like utility for gathering statistics

SYNOPSIS
           vzstat [-l] [-d X] [-p CTID] [-b|-v] [-t] [-m] [-a] [-o|-O|-i|-n]

DESCRIPTION
           The vzstat utility is a top-like utility for real-time monitoring in OpenVZ. It displays the current system state
           and load, lists most resource - consuming Containers, and can provide an	 interactive  interface	 for  displaying
           parameters.  It also can sort Containers by a number of parameters.

COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS
           -l     Batch  mode.  Prints the information once and exits immediately if no delay time (-d option) is specified.
    	      Otherwise, continues looping with the specified delay between the cycles.

-d delay
    	      Specifies the delay time between screen updates. In the screen view mode, you can change this with  the  t
    	      interactive command. The default delay time is 1 sec.

-p CTID
    	      Monitor  only  Containers	 with  the  specified IDs. This flag can be given up to twenty times, in form -p
    	      CTID1 -p CTID2 .... This option is not available interactively.

-b     "Brief" mode. Minimal detail level. Shows only one  summary  line	 about	each  monitoring  subsystem.  By
    	      default,	the "standard" detail level is used.  Valid levels are "brief", "standard" and "verbose". Can be
    	      set on the fly using the b interactive command. See also the -v command-line option and the s and v inter‐
    	      active commands.

-t     Text  mode.  Prints  the information tersely, in a form suitable for parsing by other programs. The output
    	      data is neither aligned nor colored and numbers are not displayed in a human readable format. If no  delay
    	      time  (-d	 option)  is  specified, prints the information once and exits immediately. Otherwise, continues
    	      looping with the specified delay time between the cycles.

-v     "Verbose" mode. Provides maximum details about all monitored subsystems.	Can be set on the  fly	using  v
    	      interactive command.  See also the -b command-line option and the b and s interactive commands.

-m     Display disc statistics for all fs types (by default only for ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs).

-o format
    	      Set  user-defined	 format. format is a single argument in the form of comma-separated list, which offers a
    	      way to specify individual output columns. The recognized keywords are  described	in  the	 OUTPUT	 section
    	      below  (see  CODE in per Container info). Headers may be renamed (vzstat -o st,vm=VM) as desired or may be
    	      empty  (vzstat  -o  st=,ior=).  The  column  width  can  also   be   specified   after   the   colon   (-o
    	      name:12,host=HOST:20).

-O format
    	      is like -o, but preloaded with some default columns. Identical to -o id,st,format,ip

-i     Show IO statistics. Identical to -o id,st,ior,iow,iort,iowt,ip

IO statistics display may be toggled by the I interactive command.

-n     Show network statistics. Identical to -o id,st,rx,tx,rxt,txt,rxpt,txpt,ip

Network statistics display may be toggled by the X interactive command.

-s key Sort  per-Container  statistics  by key. The recognized keywords are described in the OUTPUT section below
    	      (see CODE in per Container info).	 Sort keywords are identical to keywords for the -o option.

-a     Display disk input and output (I/O) statistics for Containers.

OUTPUT
           vzstat displays a variety of information about the OpenVZ system state.	The display is updated every 1 second by
           default, but you can change that with the -d command-line option or the t interactive command.

uptime This  line displays the time the system has been up, and the three load averages for the system.	The load
    	      averages are the average number of process ready to run during the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.  This line is
    	      just  like  the  output of uptime(1).  For example: "1:22am, up  1:31,  2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.06,
    	      0.33".  The uptime display may be toggled by the interactive l command.

Containers and processes
    	      The total number of Containers and processes running at the time of the last update. This is  also  broken
    	      down into the number of tasks which are running, sleeping, uninterruptible, zombie, stopped and dead.  For
    	      example: "CTNum 102, procs  467: R  12, S	 455, D	  0, Z	 0, T	0, X   1".   The  processes  and  states
    	      display may be toggled by the p interactive command.

CPU states
    	      Shows  the  percentage  of  CPU time used by all Containers (except for CT0) and by CT0, CPU time usage in
    	      user mode, system mode, idle and max/avg scheduling latency in ms. Scheduling latency is time spent by the
    	      processes	 in  the  system  awaiting for scheduling.  For example: "CPU [ OK ]: CTs   43%, CT0   12%, user
    	      41%, sys	 13%, idle  45%, lat(ms) 3/2".	The CPU usage display may be toggled by the c  interactive  com‐
    	      mand.

Mem    Statistics  about memory usage, including the total available memory, free memory and max/avg memory allo‐
    	      cation latency. Free memory is displayed both for low and high memory. Low memory is the sum  of	DMA  and
    	      Normal  zones  memory and high memory is the High zone memory.  Allocation latency is the time required to
    	      allocate memory inside the kernel in milliseconds.  A long allocation latency can	 be  a	sign  of  node's
    	      overload.	  For  example:	 "Mem [ OK ]: total 755MB, free 671MB/0MB (low/high), lat(ms) 10/7".  That means
    	      that the maximum allocation latency is 10 and the average is 7.  The display of memory information may  be
    	      toggled by the m, M interactive commands.

Memory zones information
    	      Information  about  memory  zone	state.	This information includes: total memory zone size in MB, size of
    	      active and inactive lists, free memory and zone limits.  For example: "ZONE1  (Normal):  size  752MB,  act
    	      29MB,  inact  31MB,  free	 658MB	(0/1/2)".   The display of memory information may be toggled by the m, M
    	      interactive commands.

Memory zones fragmentation
    	      Information about memory zones fragmentation. This information describes how much system memory  is  frag‐
    	      mented  and  which is the biggest block size possible to allocate atomically.  For example: "fragm 2*1 3*2
    	      15*4 22*8 25*16 12*32 4*64 0*128 1*256 326*512".	The first number before * is the number	 of  blocks  and
    	      the  second  one is the block size in pages.  The display of memory information may be toggled by the m, M
    	      interactive commands.

Memory allocation latency
    	      Memory allocation latency is an average time spent in kernel memory allocator for	 different  memory  type
    	      requests. Memory type is coded as XY, where X is A for GFP_ATOMIC, K for GFP_KERNEL and U for GFP_USER and
    	      Y denotes allocation request order, i.e. Y=0 for order=0 and 1 for order=1.  For example: "Mem  lat  (ms):
    	      A0  0,  K0 0, U0 1, K1 3, U1 2".	The display of memory information may be toggled by the m, M interactive
    	      commands.

Slab cache information
    	      Slab cache information includes the total slab cache size/real cache size, inode cache size, dentry  cache
    	      size, buffer heads cache size, and page beancounters cache size. Real cache size is the size the cache can
    	      be shrunk to; it's always less than the total cache size.	 For example: "Slab pages: 13MB/13MB  (ino  8MB,
    	      de  1MB,	bh 1MB, pb 0MB)".  The display of memory information may be toggled by the m, M interactive com‐
    	      mands.

Swap   Statistics on swap space, including total swap space, available swap space and swap in/swap out  in  MB/s.
    	      For  example:  "Swap  [  OK ]: tot 1004MB, free 1004MB, in 0.000MB/s, out 0.000MB/s".  The display of swap
    	      information may be toggled by the w, W interactive commands.

Swap latency
    	      Swap operations latency. This includes swap in count, swap in max/avg latency in ms, swap out count,  swap
    	      out  max/avg  latency in ms and max/avg cpu time spent in swap out.  For example: "Swap lat: si 0, 0/0 ms,
    	      so 0, 0/0 ms, 0/0 cpu ms".  The display of swap information may be toggled by the w,  W  interactive  com‐
    	      mands.

Swap cache
    	      Swap  cache information includes: number of adds to swap cache, dels from swap cache and finds.  For exam‐
    	      ple: "Swap cache: add 0, del 0, find 0/0".  The display of swap information may be toggled  by  the  w,  W
    	      interactive commands.

Network information
    	      Network  statistics  summary.  Total incoming traffic in MB/s and incoming packets/s, outcoming traffic in
    	      MB/s and packets/s.  For example: "Net [ OK ]: tot in 1.020MB/s 267pkt/s, out 0.001MB/s 1pkt/s".	The dis‐
    	      play of network information may be toggled by the n, N interactive commands.

Network interface information
    	      Network  interface  statistics  summary.	Total incoming traffic in MB/s and incoming packets/s, outcoming
    	      traffic in MB/s and packets/s.  For example: "eth0: in 0.000MB/s 3pkt/s, out 0.001MB/s 1pkt/s".  The  dis‐
    	      play  of	network information may be toggled by the n, N interactive commands.  Note: veth interfaces sta‐
    	      tistics is shown only in text mode, i.e. when the -l or -t option is specified.

Disks statistics
    	      Summary disks statistics. Reads in MB/s and writes in MB/s.  For example: "Disks [ OK ]: in 0.000MB/s, out
    	      0.000MB/s".  The display of disk information may be toggled by the d, D interactive commands.

Mounted disks statistics
    	      Information  on mounted disks, such as mount points, free space, and the number of free inodes left on the
    	      device.  For example: "root(/) free: 3489MB(46%), 511077ino(52%)".  The display of disk information may be
    	      toggled by the d, D interactive commands.

Disk I/O statistics
    	      Show  disk  input and output statistics for Containers. The following information is shown: * IOUSED%: the
    	      percentage of time the disks are used by the Container.  * IOWAIT%: the percentage of time when  at  least
    	      one  I/O	transaction  in the Container is waiting for being served.  * IOSPEED: the current speed of disk
    	      I/O operations in the Container and the I/O limit set for this Container, if any.	 The value can	be  dis‐
    	      played in bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes per second, depending on the units you used to set the
    	      I/O limit.  The display of disk information may be toggled by the A interactive command.

per-Container info
    	      Per-Container info is a list of Containers with some information about them like IDs, memory  usage,  pro‐
    	      cesses,  CPU  usage,  socket  usage, fail counters, IP addresses. The columns to be shown can be specified
    	      using the	 -o option (see above).	 The following columns can be displayed for Containers:

CODE HEADER DESCRIPTION

id   CTID Container ID.

st   ST Container status. OK if Container latency and fail counters are good; otherwise,	red  "!!".  Your
    		   can sort Containers by their statuses, displaying Containers with the "failed" status first.

vm   %VM	Virtual	 memory	 usage,	 i.e.  UBC privvmpages parameter (in percentage from total memory).  The
    		   first number is how much privvmpages are being held (i.e. actual usage), the	 second	 is  privvmpages
    		   barrier. For example: 5%/50% means that Container in question holds 5% of pages (of total memory) for
    		   privvmpages and can use even more, up to 50% of total memory pages.

When a Container is running in SLM mode, privvmpages barrier has no fixed value, because it's  calcu‐
    		   lated dynamically in the kernel, and this value depends on the current memory usage, Container activ‐
    		   ity, SLM settings and UBC limits for this Container. In SLM mode, privvmpages barrier for a Container
    		   is  usually	a  little bit bigger than the usage, so this real value is not very useful and marked by
    		   '-'.

sw   %SW Virtual swap usage, i.e. UBC swappages parameter. The first parameter is percent of virtual  swap
    		   usage, the second is the size of the virtual swap configured.

km   %KM	Kernel	memory usage, i.e. the UBC kmemsize parameter (in percentage from normal zone size). The
    		   first parameter is how much kmemsize is being used, the seconds is  kmemsize	 barrier.  For	example:
    		   3%/7%  means that the Container in question holds 3% of the normal zone for kernel memory and can use
    		   even more, up to 7% of the normal zone.

When SLM module is loaded, kmemsize barrier has no fixed value, and	like  privvmpages  barrier  it's
    		   marked by '-'.

proc PROC	 Process  information,	in  the format running tasks/total tasks/barrier.  For example: 3/20/100
    		   means that 3 processes are running, there are 20 processes in total, and at most 100 processes can be
    		   spawned in the Container in total.  You can sort Containers by the number of total or running tasks.

cpu  CPU	CPU  usage. The actual CPU usage and the requested CPU usage are printed here.	The first number
    		   is the actual CPU usage by a Container. When running on more than 1 CPU (i.e. on SMP host),	all  the
    		   processors  are  considered as 100%.	 The seconds number is the guaranteed CPU usage according to the
    		   assigned cpuunits weight. For example: 3%/5%, 99%/5%.  Note that the actual CPU usage can  be  higher
    		   than the guaranteed one.

sock SOCK	 Sockets  usage, i.e. the sum of UBC numtcpsock and numothersock parameters. The first parameter
    		   is how much sockets are opened, the seconds is the sockets barrier. For example:  12/100  means  that
    		   the	Container in question holds 12 sockets and can open more sockets, but it is limited to 100 sock‐
    		   ets.

fcnt FCNT Fail counters, i.e. the sum of UBC fail counters for  all  resources.	The  FCNT  parameter  is
    		   printed  differently in average and standart modes.	In standart mode fail counters delta is printed,
    		   i.e. the increase of failcounter sum since the last screen update. If average mode is on,  the  abso‐
    		   lute fail counters sum is printed.

mlat MLAT	 Maximum  scheduling  latency  for  a Container, in ms. This parameter shows the maximum process
    		   scheduling latency inside the Container, i.e. how long (maximum) a process  inside  Container  awaits
    		   for the CPU.

name NAME Container name.

io   IO I/O rate and I/O limit in MBytes per second.

iops IOPS	 The  current  rate of I/O operations in a Container and the limit set for the Container, calcu‐
    		   lated per second.

iow  IOW total number of bytes that were written to all block devices (IDE, SCSI, NFS ...)  in MBytes  per
    		   second.

ior  IOR	total  number of bytes that were read from all block devices (IDE, SCSI, NFS ...)  in MBytes per
    		   second.

iowt IOWT total number of bytes that were written to all block devices (IDE, SCSI, NFS ...)  in MBytes.

iort IORT total number of bytes that were read from all block devices (IDE, SCSI, NFS ...)  in MBytes.

ios  IOS sync rate (MB/sec)

iod  IOD dirty pages rate (MB/sec). This value shows how many memory pages  are  dirty.  Dirty  pages  are
    		   those pages that have data not yet flushed to the disk.

cpu_iowait
    		   CPU IOWAIT current CPU IO wait in percent

cpu_iowait_acc
    		   ACC IOWAIT accumulated CPU IO wait in percent

swapin
    		   SWAPIN Number of I/O operations with swap in a Container, per second.

Per-Container network related codes.

Total  network incoming/outgoing traffic statistics include information about all defined network classes.
    	      The network classes are described in the /etc/vz/conf/networks_classes file. See networks_classes (5)  man
    	      page for more details.

rx   RX received bytes rate (MB/sec).

tx   TX transmitted bytes rate (MB/sec).

rxt  RXT received bytes total (MB).

txt  TXT transmitted bytes total (MB).

rxp  RXP received packets rate (packets/sec).

txp  TXP transmitted packets rate (packets/sec).

rxpt RXPT received packets total.

txpt TXPT transmitted packets total.

INTERACTIVE KEYS
           Several	single-keys  commands are recognized while vzstat is running.  Interactive commands are not available if
           vzstat is executed with the -t or -l command-line option.

h, ?   Print help usage.

space  Update the display immediately.

q      Quit.

t      Change the delay between screen updates. You will be prompted to enter  a	 new  delay  time,  in	seconds.
    	      Entering 0 causes continuous updates. See also the -d command-line parameter.

r      Redraw full screen from scratch.

b      Set "brief" detail level. See also the -b command-line parameter.

s      Set"normal" detail level.

v      Set"verbose" detail level. See also the -v command-line parameter.

a      "Averaged" mode. The average (for a minute) for monitoring parameters is shown.  This includes:

Number of uninterruptable processes
    		     Scheduling max latency
    		     Memory allocation max latency
    		     Size of free/active/inactive memory
    		     Swap-in latency
    		     UBC fail counters absolute values

i      Toggle display of idle Containers.

l      Toggle display of load average.

p      Toggle display of processes statistics.

c      Toggle display of CPU usage statistics.

e      Toggle display of hostname/ip information.

m, M   Toggle/expand  the display of memory information. Each subsystem, including memory, network, and disk, has
    	      a number of verbosity levels. On the minimal level, no information  is  displayed.  Interactive  lowercase
    	      keys decrease the verbosity level, the same keys in uppercase increase it.

n, N   Toggle/expand display of network statistics.

d, D   Toggle/expand display of disk usage and activity information.

w, W   Toggle/expand display of swap information.

I      Switch to IO accounting column set.

X      Switch to network statistics column set.

A      Switch to IO statistics column set.

0      Toggle display of CT0 statistics.

o      Sort key. One of the sort option keys should follow it:

n	     Sort by CTID

t	     Sort by Container status

v	     Sort by virtual memory usage

k	     Sort by kernel memory usage

r	     Sort by the number of running processes

p	     Sort by the total number of processes

c	     Sort by CPU usage

s	     Sort by number of open sockets

f	     Sort by UBC failure counters

m	     Sort by memory latency

VZSTAT CONFIGURATION FILES
           The vzstat configuration file is located in /etc/vzstat.conf.  The parameter values in this file are highlighting
           thresholds for the corresponding monitoring parameters. If the current  value  exceeds  the  warning  level,  the
           parameter  is  shown in yellow. If the value exceeds the error level, the parameter is shown in red. Some parame‐
           ters, however, have one threshold only.	All the parameters are numerical  and  specified  in  the  form	 PARAME‐
           TER=NNN.

LOAD_AVG
    	      Load average.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

PROC_RUN
    	      Number of running processes.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

PROC_UNINT
    	      Number of uninterruptable processes (in ´D´ state).  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is
    	      yellow.

CPU_IDLE
    	      CPU idle time, in percent.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

CPU_SYS
    	      CPU system time, in percent.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

CPU_LAT_MAX_WARN
    	      Scheduling latency, in milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).	Warning level. If exceeded, the	 parame‐
    	      ter is shown is yellow.

CPU_LAT_AVG_ERR
    	      Scheduling  latency, in milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).	 Error level. If exceeded, the parameter
    	      is shown in red.

CPU_LAT_AVG_WARN
    	      Scheduling latency, in milliseconds (5 sec average).  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter  is  shown
    	      is yellow.

CPU_LAT_MAX_ERR
    	      Scheduling  latency, in milliseconds (5 sec average).  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown in
    	      red.

MEM_LAT_MAX_WARN
    	      Memory allocation latency, in milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).  Warning level. If  exceeded,  the
    	      parameter is shown is yellow.

MEM_LAT_MAX_ERR
    	      Memory  allocation  latency,  in	milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).  Error level. If exceeded, the
    	      parameter is shown in red.

MEM_LAT_AVG_WARN
    	      Memory allocation latency, in milliseconds (5 sec average).  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter  is
    	      shown is yellow.

MEM_LAT_AVG_ERR
    	      Memory  allocation  latency,  in milliseconds (5 sec average).  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is
    	      shown in red.

MEM_ZONE_ACT_INACT_FREE_WARN
    	      Size of available memory (free + active + inactive pages), in percent.   Warning	level.	If  the	 current
    	      value is below this level, the parameter is shown is yellow.

MEM_ZONE_ACT_INACT_FREE_ERR
    	      Size  of available memory (free + active + inactive pages), in percent.  Error level. If the current value
    	      is below this level, the parameter is shown in red.

MEM_ZONE_ACT_INACT_FREE_ABS_WARN
    	      Size of available memory (free + active + inactive pages), in MB.	 Warning level. If the current value  is
    	      below this level, the parameter is shown is yellow.

MEM_ZONE_ACT_INACT_FREE_ABS_ERR
    	      Size  of	available  memory (free + active + inactive pages), in MB.  Error level. If the current value is
    	      below this level, the parameter is shown in red.

MEM_ZONE_ORDER_GT_0
    	      Number of pages which are gathered in blocks with order > 0. For example, if current  memory  distribution
    	      looks like:  3*1 1*2 3*4 5*8 ....	  Then number of pages with order>0 is 1*2 + 3*4 + 5*8 + ... This sum is
    	      printed yellow if it is too low.

SWAP_FREE_WARN
    	      Free swap space, in percent.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

SWAP_FREE_ERR
    	      Free swap space, in percent.  Error level. If the current value is below	this  level,  the  parameter  is
    	      shown in red.

SWAP_IN_WARN
    	      Swap-in activity, in Mb/sec.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

SWAP_IN_ERR
    	      Swap-in activity, in Mb/sec.  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown in red.

SWAP_OUT_WARN
    	      Swap-out activity, in Mb/sec.  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

SWAP_OUT_ERR
    	      Swap-out activity, in Mb/sec.  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown in red.

SWAP_LAT_MAX_WARN
    	      Swap-in  latency,	 in milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter
    	      is shown is yellow.

SWAP_LAT_MAX_ERR
    	      Swap-in latency, in milliseconds (maximum over 5 sec period).  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter  is
    	      shown in red.

SWAP_LAT_AVG_WARN
    	      Swap-in  latency,	 in milliseconds (5 sec average).  Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is
    	      yellow.

SWAP_LAT_AVG_ERR
    	      Swap-in latency, in milliseconds (5 sec average).	 Error level. If exceeded, the	parameter  is  shown  in
    	      red.

DISK_FREE_INODES_WARN
    	      Free  inodes  on disk, in percent.  Warning level. If the current value is below this level, the parameter
    	      is shown is yellow.

DISK_FREE_INODES_ERR
    	      Free inodes on disk, in percent.	Error level. If the current value is below this level, the parameter  is
    	      shown in red.

DISK_FREE_SPACE_WARN
    	      Free  disk  space,  in percent.  Warning level. If the current value is below this level, the parameter is
    	      shown is yellow.

DISK_FREE_SPACE_ERR
    	      Free disk space, in percent.  Error level. If the current value is below	this  level,  the  parameter  is
    	      shown in red.

DISK_IO_LOAD_WARN
    	      Disk IO load, in percent.	 Warning level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown is yellow.

DISK_IO_LOAD_ERR
    	      Disk IO load, in percent.	 Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown in red.

CT_FAILCNT_DELTA
    	      Number of failed UBC resource allocations for a Container between vzstat screen updates (any resource type
    	      is taken into account).  Error level. If exceeded, the parameter is shown in red.

NOTES
           vzstat requires superuser privileges to run.

SEE ALSO
           networks_classes(5).

COPYRIGHT
           Copyright (c) 2003-2015, Parallels IP Holdings GmbH. All rights reserved.

OpenVZ							July 2015					       vzstat(8)

© Lightnetics 2024