How do i install neovim editor on ubuntu?

• Neovim as specified by the creators, the future of Vim.

Note: After installation, neovim becomes the default when using vi on ubuntu. In most cases, you will not notice the difference between, Vim 8.0 and Neovim.

The install instructions for various OS's can be found here: https://github.com/neovim/neovim/wiki/Installing-Neovim

Ensure you have the pre-reqs installed for ubuntu:

$ sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

Download the GPG repo key.

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:neovim-ppa/stable
    OK

Is you see this error Failed to add key., try a few time with time gaps of a minute, the keyserver can get busy.

$ sudo apt-get install neovim

$ nvim --version
    NVIM v0.2.2
    Build type: RelWithDebInfo
    LuaJIT 2.0.4
    Compilation: /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -g -O2 -fPIE -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DDISABLE_LOG -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wconversion -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -DNVIM_UNIBI_HAS_VAR_FROM -O2 -g -DMIN_LOG_LEVEL=3 -Og -g -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -std=gnu99 -Wvla -fstack-protector-strong -fdiagnostics-color=auto -DINCLUDE_GENERATED_DECLARATIONS -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/build/neovim-HJnLxJ/neovim-0.2.2/build/config -I/build/neovim-HJnLxJ/neovim-0.2.2/src -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/build/neovim-HJnLxJ/neovim-0.2.2/build/src/nvim/auto -I/build/neovim-HJnLxJ/neovim-0.2.2/build/include
    Compiled by [email protected]

Features: +acl +iconv +jemalloc +tui 
    See ":help feature-compile"

system vimrc file: "$VIM/sysinit.vim"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/nvim"

Run :checkhealth for more info

© Lightnetics 2024